On the heels of a major flareup that caught national media attention, Breitbart News reports that Donald Trump’s former campaign manager and now senior political advisor Kellyanne Conway is out of contention for the role of press secretary, having removed herself from consideration, instead preferring to devote more time to her family.
Ms. Conway made front page headlines after speaking on December 1 at a symposium hosted by Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, where the Clinton and Trump campaigns exchanged heated debate about how Trump pulled off his victory on election day.
Discussion at the symposium became contentious when Hillary Clinton’s communication director Jen Palmieri and Ms. Conway argued about whether Trump encouraged racism in his campaign.
“I mean, hashtag he’s you’re president. How’s that?” Conway said to Palmieri.
Last week, speaking at a Politico Women Rule event, Conway said that she wanted to focus on raising her four children, but that she was not concerned about her future role in the Trump campaign, Politico reports.
“As you imagine in President Trump’s administration, communications will be a very important aspect for it and there will be a number of people handling that,” she said.
On Monday Conway told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that given the importance of the press secretary role in an administration where the press will be particularly hostile, that she had “politely declined” an offer for the position.